If you have a complaint or concern about your experience with us, please contact us so we can resolve it.
When you contact us about your complaint or concern we promise to:
- deal with it in strict confidence
- address it promptly and objectively
- be transparent throughout the entire process.
When to make a complaint
It is important to make it as soon as possible after the event(s) that led to the complaint.
How to make a complaint
You can make a complaint online, call or email us.
- Make a complaint online on the form below
- Call Statistics NZ: 0508 525 525 (toll-free within New Zealand)
Staff are available to take your calls Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5pm. We are not open on public holidays. If you call outside business hours, leave a message with your contact details. We will contact you on the next working day.
- Email email@example.com
Information to include in your complaint
Your complaint should include the following information:
How long does it take to resolve a complaint?
We will try to respond to your complaint within seven working days.
Some complaints are more complex than others, which means investigations may take a bit longer. In such cases, it may take up to 21 days to resolve your complaint. We will let you know when this is the case.
What if you’re not satisfied with how we handle your complaint?
We will do our best to make sure you are satisfied with the outcome of your complaint. However, if you are not satisfied you may choose to contact the:
- Privacy Commissioner – if it relates to privacy issues
- Office of the Ombudsman – who may consider complaints about administrative acts and decisions of state sector agencies. The Ombudsman will ask if you have first tried to resolve the matter with us directly, and will consider whether you have any other remedy available. The Ombudsman may look into your complaint and make a recommendation to us about the issue you have raised.
Page published 11 November 2016