Provisional figures at February 2016 showed:
- New Zealand had 515,050 enterprises, up 1.6 percent from February 2015.
- These enterprises engaged 2.1 million paid employees (not an official employment statistic), up 2.4 percent from February 2015.
- Nearly all industries had more enterprises and employees than one year ago.
- The construction industry had 3.7 percent more enterprises and 4.8 percent more employees than at February 2015.
- Auckland region added 3.3 percent more business locations and 3.8 percent more employees over the year; the region had 34 percent of all employees.
- 2,350 enterprises engaged 100 or more employees – 70 more than at February 2015.
- More than half the number of Māori businesses were located within three North Island regions.
Liz MacPherson, Government Statistician
27 October 2016
See New Zealand Business Demography Statistics: At February 2016 – additional tables for tables calculated using a new confidentialisation method.
Page updated 19 December 2016