This report presents the results of consultation Statistics NZ undertook on proposed changes to the current New Zealand Income Survey (NZIS). It outlines our decisions, recommendations, and a course of action.
Summary of our key decisions
After consulting users of the NZIS and weighing up the costs and benefits we decided to integrate the NZIS content into the Household Labour Force Survey (HLFS).
We also decided that:
- The NZIS will be discontinued after the June 2015 collection.
- From June 2016, information collected from the current NZIS about income from wages and salaries, self-employment income, and government transfers will be collected as an income module within the HLFS.
- Income from private transfers and investments (other private income) will be collected solely in the Household Economic Survey (HES).
- The current measure of total income called 'income from all sources' will be collected solely in the HES.
- Employment-related income data will be collected once a year, in the June quarter of the HLFS.
To read the full report, download the PDF from 'Available files' above. If you have problems viewing the file, see opening files and PDFs.
ISBN 978-0-478-40851-5 (online)
Published 3 October 2013