For January 2017, compared with January 2016:
- National guest nights were up 1.1 percent.
- Domestic guest nights were down 2.7 percent, and international guest nights were up 6.9 percent.
- North Island guest nights were up 2.5 percent, and South Island guest nights were down 0.7 percent.
- Nine of the 12 regional areas had more guest nights.
- Three of the four accommodation types had more guest nights.
For the year ended January 2017, national guest nights were up 5.5 percent from the January 2016 year.
The trend for national guest nights was flat in January 2017. Seasonally adjusted guest nights fell 1.8 percent.
Liz Macpherson, Government Statistician
20 March 2017