Nau mai, haere mai ki He Arotahi Tatauranga. Tēnei he pātaka āwhina, he pātaka mātauranga. He ara whakamua, e pā ana ki ngā mohiotanga mō tātou.
Welcome to He Arotahi Tatauranga – a tool to help you learn more about Māori information needs. He Arotahi Tatauranga will help you explore and discover ways to think about, gather, organise, connect, and make sense of information relevant to Māori development and well-being.
Kei ingoatia tēnei ingoa, e mōhio ana he ara maha ki ngā ara mātauranga. He ōrite tēnei tētahi kāpehu whetū ki tō tātou piki, tō tātou hiki roto ki te poutama whakamua.
He Arotahi Tatauranga means a focus on pathways to the future through statistics. We chose this name to describe the many entry points and pathways within the tool. He Arotahi Tatauranga is designed to help you navigate from determining information needs, to thinking about pertinent questions and ways of measuring progress.
Huakina te pāpākiri, ka kite te taikākā.
Open the bark of the tree so we can see the heartwood.
Broaden our view of information so we can better understand Māori well-being and the ways to achieve it.
He Arotahi Tatauranga is Statistics NZ’s statistical framework for Māori information needs. It is a resource for those working on statistics for and about Māori. We intend it to be used across the Official Statistics System, but primarily by Māori to organise and use their information in a way that supports their development and well-being consistent with their aspirations as a people. It builds on our previous work which culminated in 2002 with the publication of Towards a Māori Statistics Framework: A discussion document.
He Arotahi Tatauranga will help you:
- build your own information management system from a Māori perspective
- think statistically about the concepts and topics relevant to Māori development from a Māori viewpoint
- identify what type of measurements would suit you
- know if an indicator already exists that could be used for such measurement.
He Arotahi Tatauranga is made up of three parts.
- Guide to using He Arotahi Tatauranga presents an overview of Statistics NZ’s statistical framework for Māori information needs. It provides you with suggestions on how to use the framework. We suggest first-time users begin with this guide.
- He Arotahi Tatauranga – Supplementary information provides more detailed information for users of He Arotahi Tatauranga. You may wish to read parts of this document that are of particular interest.
- He Arotahi Tatauranga tool – navigate through sections of the tool by moving from dimensions and topics to questions, measures, and indicators.
To read the publications, download or print the PDFs and Excel table from 'Available files' above. If you have problems viewing the files, see Opening files and PDFs.
Statistics New Zealand (2014). Guide to using Te Arotahi Tatauranga. Available from www.stats.govt.nz.
ISBN 978-0-478-42917-6 (online)
Statistics New Zealand (2014). He Arotahi Tatauranga – Supplementary information. Available from www.stats.govt.nz.
ISBN 978-0-478-42918-3 (online)
Updated 12 November 2014