Time Use Survey, 1999
New Zealand's first Time Use Survey was carried out in 1999 - it provides information on the various activities people spend their time on. The survey collected information on the proportion of time spent on economically productive activities, leisure pursuits and personal care. It shows the different patterns between men's and women's lives, and between Māori and non-Māori.
The design of the Time Use Survey included a number of features which aimed to help produce useful measures of Māori people's time use. They included recording:
- participation in ceremonies significant to Māori culture
- unpaid work for Māori-based organisations
- when people were on a marae or other places of Māori cultural significance
- the number of people who participated in Māori cultural activities in the previous four weeks.
The definition of Māori used in the Time Use Survey is that of Māori ethnic group - further information on the definition of Māori ethnicity, descent and iwi can be found on the Māori statistics page (refer to the section on How Māori Statistics Are Produced).
A series of 50 standard tables maybe downloaded - some contain information relating to Māori.
The full list of standard tables can be seen by clicking on this link to the Contents page.
This link will take you to the files containing the full set of Standard Tables.
These tables are available in Microsoft Excel 97 format. They range in size from 28 Kb to 879 Kb. The following standard tables contain information relating to Mäori:
- Tables 2, 7, 12 (refer to file tusAtables.xls)
- Table 24 (refer to file tusEtables.xls)
- Tables 32, 33 (refer to file tusHtables.xls)
- Table 40 (refer to file tusItables.xls)
- Table 48 (refer to file tusLtables.xls)
- Table 49 (refer to file tusMtables.xls)
- Tables 7a, 12a (Time Use Survey sampling errors - refer to file TUS sampling errors A.xls)
- Tables 32a, 33a (Time Use Survey sampling errors - refer to file TUS sampling errors H.xls)
- A Users' Guide containing details about the survey, information available and its usage is available along with the series of tables as an Adobe Acrobat file (pdf file). Its size is 300 Kb.
Click on this link to read more about the Time Use Survey.