These releases provide statistics on external migration, including the number of overseas visitors, New Zealand resident travellers and permanent and long-term migrants entering or leaving New Zealand. These statistics are based on final counts of arrivals to and departures from New Zealand.
The External Migration release has been renamed International Travel and Migration. See the International Travel and Migration – information releases page for releases from June 2008.
Latest releases using this title
The releases contain tables on:
- number of arrivals and departures by class
- net migration
- seasonally adjusted arrivals and departures
- overseas visitor arrivals by country of last permanent residence
- New Zealand resident short-term departures by country of main destination
- permanent and long-term migration by country of last/next permanent residence
- permanent and long-term migration by citizenship.
Subscribe to our information releases.
Source: New Zealand Customs Service
Available from: June 1998 to May 2008
Geographic coverage: National
You can find previous releases dating back to October 2005 here. For releases prior to this please complete this request form.
Time series data can be accessed from the Infoshare database.
Subject categories: Tourism
Groups: International Travel and Migration