This charter sets out how we will work with you if you’re required to participate in one of our surveys. It outlines why we need to carry out surveys, what you can expect, and how to get help if you need it.
Why Statistics NZ surveys are important
We do surveys to collect the data needed to produce vital information for New Zealand.
As well as the census, we survey people and businesses on topics such as income, housing, the environment, economic growth, and social well-being.
Our statistics give local councils, community groups, businesses, iwi, and government the information they need to make decisions about the services they provide.
That’s why, as for the census, everyone in New Zealand selected for one of our surveys must take part. This is a legal requirement under the Statistics Act 1975.
Our statistics are independent and impartial. We can’t produce them without your help.
What you can expect
When you’re participating in one of our surveys you can expect us to:
- keep your information secure and confidential
- be prompt, professional, courteous, and easy to deal with
- show you photo identification if we visit for a face-to-face interview
- let you know how much time an interview will take and set up a time that suits you
- be responsive to your individual and cultural needs
- explain how we will use the information you provide.
How you can help us
We ask you to please:
- answer questions as accurately as possible
- return the electronic or paper questionnaires by the date requested
- provide a suitable place for our interviewer to use their laptop if they visit you
- make the time to answer the survey if we phone you.
If you have a complaint or concerns
We will listen to any concerns you raise, and respond quickly and fairly.
To make a complaint or report your concern, call us toll-free:
- 0800 104 744 or
- 0800 Census (0800 236 787) for Census Test.
Our business hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. We are closed on public holidays.
If you call outside business hours, make sure to leave a message with your contact details. We will contact you on the next working day.
You can also:
Send us your feedback
If you’ve participated in one of our surveys, we want to hear about your experience. We value feedback and will use it to improve how we work with survey participants.
To send feedback, you can:
Page updated 10 March 2016