Statistics about employment and unemployment.
- Household Labour Force Survey
This quarterly release contains information on New Zealand's official employment and unemployment statistics.
- Linked Employer-Employee Data
Linked Employer-Employee Data (LEED) provides statistics on filled jobs, job flows, worker flows, mean and median earnings for continuing jobs and new hires, and total earnings.
- Quarterly Employment Survey
This quarterly release publishes statistics on total earnings, hours paid for, filled jobs, average hourly and weekly earnings, and average weekly paid hours.
- National Labour Force Projections
This release, published every two to three years, contains projections of the labour force of New Zealand by age and sex, based on different combinations of fertility, mortality, migration, and labour force participation assumptions.
- Survey of Family, Income, and Employment
This survey collected information on respondents' work, family and household circumstances, income, and net worth.
- Survey of Working Life
This release, planned to be published every three years, contains information on New Zealand's employment conditions and work arrangements.
- National Employment Indicator – under review (at June 2012)
The National Employment Indicator provides an early indication of changes in total filled jobs over each month at the national level.
Time series data is available on Infoshare.
Reports and articles
- Skill levels of New Zealand jobs (published 2013)
Presents information on the skill levels of jobs done by New Zealanders.
- Dynamics of the New Zealand labour market (published 2013)
Discusses measures of labour market dynamics.
- Introducing new measures of underemployment (published 2013)
Introduction to a new underemployment measure, to be added to the suite of labour market statistics available from the Household Labour Force Survey: March 2013 quarter onwards.
- Ongoing impact of Canterbury earthquakes on the Household Labour Force Survey (published 2012)
Discussion of the longer-term impact of the Canterbury earthquakes on the collection and results of the Household Labour Force Survey.
- Explaining labour market statistics
Explanation of the suite of official labour market statistics produced by Statistics NZ.
- Privacy impact assessment for the feasibility study for linking HLFS data with LEED data
This privacy impact assessment (PIA) identifies privacy risks associated with linking data from the Household Labour Force Survey (HLFS) data with data from Linked Employer-Employee Data (LEED) and outlines the processes for managing these risks.
- Auckland labour market
This infographic and technical paper provide details on Auckland's labour market, including workers' occupations, earnings, and hours of work, as well as their education and ethnicity.
- Youth not in employment, education, or training: September 2011 quarter
The purpose of this article is to provide a brief overview of New Zealand youth (aged 15–24 years) who are not in employment, education, or training (NEET).
- Introducing the youth not in employment, education, or training indicator
The purpose of this paper is to discuss the youth not in employment, education, or training (NEET) indicator, its introduction as an official measure by Statistics New Zealand, how it is defined and calculated, and why it is useful.
- Imputation study for Household Labour Force Survey March 2011 quarter
An article about the investigation of using an imputation methodology in the Household Labour Force Survey to account for Canterbury earthquake-related non-response.
- Introducing the employment rate
An article about the employment rate, which has been added to the suite of labour market statistics available from the Household Labour Force Survey.
- Labour force categories used in the Household Labour Force Survey
This document outlines the labour force categories used in the Household Labour Force Survey.
- Canterbury Labour Market: A snapshot after the 22 February 2011 earthquake
An article based on information from the Household Labour Force Survey and the Quarterly Employment Survey.
- Comparing employment using matched datasets
This page summarises the results of matching two sets of employment data (from the Household Labour Force Survey and the Linked Employer-Employee Dataset).
- Impact of the 22 February 2011 earthquake on the Household Labour Force Survey
This article explains how the February 2011 Canterbury earthquake affected the Household Labour Force Survey (HLFS).
- Annual measures of job creation and destruction in New Zealand
This report examines how LEED annual job and creation statistics can be applied to complement the existing quarterly measures.
- Linked Employer-Employee Data reports
This page includes reports about the development and feasibility phases of data integration projects that use Linked Employer-Employee Data (LEED), research involving the analysis of data from LEED, and annual outputs from LEED.
- A Guide to Unemployment Statistics
This report provides an overview of the different unemployment indicators in New Zealand.
- Young People 1986-2006: Study, work, and income
This report examines the nature and timing of young peoples' study and work participation between 1986 and 2006.