Births and Deaths: Year ended March 2011
Embargoed until 10:45am – 17 May 2011
|In the March 2011 year:
- 63,180 live births and 29,110 deaths were registered in New Zealand, resulting in a natural increase (live births minus deaths) of 34,080.
- Deaths increased by 260. There were 410 fewer deaths registered between April and December 2010 but 670 more in the March 2011 quarter, compared with the same period in the previous year. In the March quarter more deaths were registered in January (up 180), February (up 260), and March (up 230) when compared with the same month in 2010.
- Deaths in the West Coast region numbered 280, compared with an annual average of 260 in the previous 10 years.
- 60 West Coast men aged 15–64 years died compared with 30 in the March 2010 year.
- 4,470 Cantabrians died, up from 4,170 in the March 2010 year.
- The total fertility rate was 2.1 births per woman.
- Women aged 30–34 years had the highest age-specific fertility rate (125 births per 1,000 women).
||17 May 2011|
||ISSN 1178-0436 |